Districts of Kerala – Kasaragod
Year of formation : 1984, May 24
- Kasargod is the last district formed in Kerala.
- Neeleswaram is known as the ‘Cultural Capital of Kasaragod’.
- The northernmost place in Kerala, Thalappady, is in Kasargod district.
- Kasaragod is the northernmost district in Kerala and the northernmost taluk in Kerala is also Kasaragod.
- The only district in Kerala where tobacco is cultivated (Neeleswaram region).
- Kasaragod is known as the ‘Land of Gods’
- Among the districts in Kerala, the largest number of languages are spoken in Kasaragod district.
- Kasargod has the most number of rivers in Kerala.
- The first Tele medicine system was started in Kasaragod.
- The first bio district is Kasaragod
- Cheemeni Thermal Power Plant is in Kasaragod
- The second open jail was started in Cheemeni.
- Konkani and Tulu are the languages spoken in Kasaragod district, besides Malayalam.
- The first fully blood donation Panchayat in Kerala is Madikai in Kasaragod district.
- Tourist spots like Baikkal fort, Chandragiri fort and Kappil beach are in Kasaragod district.
- The use of pesticide ‘Endosulphan’ caused much disaster in Kasaragod district.
- Kasaragod leads in the production of Arecanut in Kerala.
- The most popular art from of Kasaragod district is Yakshaganam.