Some facts about popular moments of Kerala
- Aikya Kerala movement formed with an aim to from a state by merging Malabar, Kochi and Travancore, on the linguistic base.
- First KPCC president was K Madhavan Nair.
- Ottapalam Conference of Kerala political parties laid the foundation for Aikya Kerala movement on 23rd April 1921.
- The Payyanur political conference was held in May 1928.
- This session demented the Kerala state on linguistic base to Central government.
- K.P. Keshava Menon was the president of the sub committee formed by KPCC for the ‘Aikya Kerala’ moment.
- in 1947 under the leadership of K . kelappan first Aikya Kerala Conference held at Thrissur.
- In 1952 June KPCC was divided into two , MPCC and Thiru- Kochi Pradesh Congress Committee.
- MPCC means Malayalam Pradesh Congress Committee. its first president was A.V. kuttimalu Amma.
- K.R. Elankath was the first President of ‘ Thiru- Kochi ‘ Pradesh Congress Committee.
- Kerala state formed in November 1st 1956 by amerging Malabar, Kochi, Travancore.
- Thovala ,Kalkulam ,Agastiswaram ,Vilavamcode, Nilgiri Gudallur were Added with Tamilnadu and Coorg given to Karnataka.
- Kasaragod Taluk of south Canara District added to Kerala .Lakhdives remained as Union territory.
- Orna Agitation( single Ana) was lunched in1958 Under the leadership of Kerala students Union against the boat charge hike in Alappuzha .
- Kochi Rajya Praja mandala was Formed , In1941 under the leadership of V.R. Krishnan Eazhuthachan
- First president of Praja Mandalam was S. Neelakandan Iyar and secretary was V.R. Krishnan Eazhuthachan .
Also read: 63rd National Film Awards : Major Winners
Gandhiji in Kerala
- Gandhiji visited Kerala 5 times.
- On 1920 August 18th Gandhiji’s first visit to Kerala Khilafat movement.
- 1925 March 8 Gandhiji visited Kerala for participating Viacom Satyagraha.
- 1927 Gandhi visited Kerala for the part of south- Indian visit.
- 1934- Gandhiji visited Kerala for Harijan fund collection.
- 1937- Gandhiji’s last visit Kerala.
- k.k. Kelappan is known as Kerala Gandhi.
- I .K.Kumaran master is known as Mayyazhi Gandhi.
- Payyanur Is known as second Bardoli.
- Mahatma Gandhi University is located at Kottayam.
- Kaumudi teacher was the lady from Vatakara who donated her Gold ornaments to Gandhiji’s Harijan Revival fund.
Also read : കേരളം: A Brief Facts about Kerala
Gandhi and prizes
- The Gandhi Foundation International peace award 2012 was given to St. John of Jerusalem Eye Hospital.
- The Gandhi Peace Award 2012 Presented to Amy goodman for her contribution for promoting truthful Journalism. This given by US organisation promoting enduring peace .
- Government of India Launched the International Gandhi Peace Prize in 1995 on the occasion of the 125th birth anniversary of Gandhiji.
- First winner of international Gandhi Peace prize was Julius Nyerere.
- Last recipient of international Gandhi Peace prize was Desmond Tutu of south Africa in 2005.
- Gandhi development trust Instituted Mahatma Gandhi peace prize in in 2003.
- 2012 Mahatma Gandhi Peace prize was given to Dalai Lama.
- Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan is the only organisation received Gandhi Peace prize.
Image Courtesy:SK photography